"At the time of it's construction in 1876, the National Block was the most ambitious building project the city of Wabash had ever seen. The project of local businessman, William R. Collins and the First National Bank of Wabash, the structure served as the headquarters of the bank, and also contained four ground-level shops, multiple offices, and an upper story hall. Since it's completion, the building has served multiple businesses, and organizations, including a bookstore, offices for the fire department, and the Royal Arcanum Lodge.
Quite notable is the Mansard roof with two towers, eight dormers and multi-colored slate. In 1998, Wabash Marketplace Inc. completed a restoration of the building to it's current appearance."